West Bloomfield Township, MI
Overview of the Design Consultant Role
Do you strive to deliver an amazing experience to customers? Do you love to work independently as well as within a team and support clients? Then this is the place for you! We’re looking for a Design Consultant to join our team to help with the creation of a beautiful interior landscape space for our clients.
In this role, you will be responsible for delivering an amazing client experience through the sales, design and installation phases of Planterra’s Interior Landscape projects. You will travel to your client locations to review, design and understand their needs and wants.
Design Consultant Responsibilities:
- Provides outstanding customer service at all times and gives excellent communication to both clients and colleagues.
- Performs interior landscape client site visits to discuss client’s design and budget, takes measurements and photos of the space, and gathers information to create a design presentations Candidate must thrive in a fast-paced work environment and be willing and able to be on the road several days each week visiting project locations and meeting with clients (mostly in Southeast Michigan).
- Creates design proposals for interior landscape projects, utilizing Planterra’s templates and brand standards and guidelines. Basic Microsoft Excel skills are necessary.
- Creates eye-catching, thoughtful, and accurate visuals to communicate design to client. Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and/or Photoshop preferred. Hand sketches may also be incorporated—whatever it takes to communicate and sell the design! Creative Director will help determine necessary visuals as needed.
- Presents designs and proposals to clients, enthusiastically communicating design intent, incorporating client feedback, and honing design details to quickly close sale.
- Manages thorough ongoing client communication via phone, email, text, and in person meetings, updating customers during sales, purchase, and installation process.
- Works with Project Manager to prepare for installation of design projects, updating Job File and providing photos, plans, and notes to make sure the installation goes smoothly.
- Attends project installations and directs placement of material with Installations department. Communicates with clients on site during installation and performs walk-throughs with client near end of the installation to ensure satisfaction. Facilitates client introduction to Project Manager and Account Manager.
- Works with Account Manager to coordinate transition from installation phase to service phase of project and communicate any issues with service quality reported by client to Account Manager immediately.
- Attends weekly Operations and Sales/Design department meetings.
- Stays abreast of trends and new products in Interior Landscape industry and strives to always learn more and improve design and sales skills.
- Constantly seeks opportunities to improve processes, sales techniques, design skills, and customer service. Professional growth is encouraged and supported.
Design Consultant Skills & Qualifications:
- High School Diploma required, Associate Degree or higher is preferred.
- Previous sales experience is a required, preferable B2B sales.
- General Accounting experience is a preferred. Experience in design (architecture, interior design, landscape design, etc.) or construction management preferred.
- Ability to provide high level customer service to both clients and colleagues.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with managing multiple projects at the time.
- Willing and able to be on the road multiple days/per week to visit project locations and conduct onsite visits with clients (mostly in Southeast Michigan).
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and/or Photoshop preferred.
- Basic Microsoft Excel skills are necessary and all other suites of Microsoft 365 Office.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write correspondence.
- Ability to lift a 20 lb.
- Ability to climb a ladder.
- Ability to be on feet for several hours at a time, and bend, kneel and reach. Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Strong interpersonal skills, proven ability to work well in team, as well as with internal and external clients
- This role requires local travel and significant amounts of time in the field in a wide variety of environments. Time at construction or installation sites, both indoors and outdoors, including time in hot, humid, cold, and/or rainy environments may be required. In addition, this role will spend time in an open office environment and a significant amount of drive time on the road every week.
Benefits & Perks:
- Paid Time-Off
- Health Benefits
- Dental Benefits
- Vision Benefits
- 401 k
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Tuition Reimbursement
- After 12-months – a commission will be incorporated in addition to base salary.
Planterra is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Planterra is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Planterra is also committed to creating a safe environment in response to the COVID pandemic. As a result, we have put in place a range of safety protocols for all employees, clients, candidates, and vendors to ensure we are doing our part to keep all safe.